3-pound piece corned beef brisket (with spice packet, if included)
carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths
12-ounce bottle amber ale
chopped fresh tarragon
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, place the beef, the contents of the spice packet (if included), carrots, and ale. Cook, covered, until the beef is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Ten minutes before serving, thinly slice the Brussels sprouts. (This is easiest to do in a food processor with the slicing blade.)
- Transfer the beef from the slow cooker to a cutting board; if the slow cooker is on the low setting, turn it to high. Add the Brussels sprouts to the carrots and liquid in the slow cooker. Cook, covered, until the Brussels sprouts are tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mustard, and tarragon.
- Slice the beef. Serve with the vegetables and sour cream sauce.