African Peanut Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can chopped tomatoes in juice
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup white rice
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook the garlic until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes (and their juices), tomato paste, peanut butter, broth, vinegar, cayenne, and 1 teaspoon salt. Whisk to combine. Bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the scallions and peanuts.
- Per Serving
- Calories 588Calories From Fat 231
- Fat 26g
- Sat Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 1,326mg
- Protein 23g
- Carbohydrate 67g
- Sugar 14g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 33mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The soup can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.