It’s a sad day when your favorite eyeshadow compact takes a tumble onto the tiled bathroom floor. We all know the feeling: You slowly roll it over to see what the damage is. The best outcome is that it’s not cracked and you can continue on applying your makeup, but sometimes that's just not the case. But you're in luck—we now have a solution that may make the alternative outcome not quite as bad. Celebrity nail artist Jenna Hipp shared on Instagram that she mixes her shattered eyeshadows into a clear topcoat to create custom nail colors. (Why didn’t we think of that?!) Follow these steps to try it out for yourself.
- Put your cracked or bottom-of-the-pan eyeshadow into a plastic sandwich bag and crush with the back of a metal spoon until it's a fine powder.
- Place a large blob of clear nail polish on a disposable plate.
- Add the crushed eyeshadow little by little, blending with a toothpick or the polish brush until you have the color and consistency you want.
- Paint your new color onto bare nails or layer it over an existing color to create fun nail art.
- To keep your clear polish in pristine condition, clean off the brush with polish remover before putting it back in the bottle. Then go over nails with the clear to seal in color.
Don’t have any cracked eyeshadow, but want to make your own polish? Head to the arts and crafts supply store and pick a few packs of glitter or powder pigment to add to a clear topcoat as described above.