The Hair Tool How-To Manual
Get great hair: Make the most of your tools; plus, tips on top features.
What to Look for in a Blow-Dryer
- Cool-shot button: Standard on most dryers, the cool-shot button temporarily shuts off the heating element when pressed. Use cool air to set your style.
- Nozzle: Attached to the end of the barrel, the nozzle helps direct the airflow. It also protects hair from the metal grates at the end of the barrel, which can reach 300 degrees.
- Vent: When the fan inside the dryer spins, it draws in air through the vent, the small holes at the back of the dryer. It’s typically covered by a screen to prevent your hair from being sucked in.
- Switches: Along with an on-off button, the best dryers have settings to adjust speed and temperature, all of which let you customize the airflow to get the results you want.
How to Use It Properly
- Pick the right wattage for your hair. Too much heat (read: high wattages) can be damaging. Fine hair needs only a 1,200-watt dryer. Normal and coarse hair require more heat to dry quickly; use 1,400 watts or a bit higher, says Edward Jimenez, artistic director of hair-tools brand Metropolis Technology. Whatever the wattage, always spritz a heat-protectant spray on your hair before drying.
- Tailor the temperature to your styling goal. “Cooler temperatures give volume by roughing up the cuticles,” says Evelyn Calderon, a stylist at the Butterfly Studio Salon, in New York City. Higher temperatures work for sleeker looks, since heat smooths the cuticles.
- Aim the airflow in the direction you’re styling. To straighten, point the dryer down the length of the hair. For volume, direct air upward at the roots.
Most Popular Galleries
“Here’s some good news about your (literally) beautiful future: According to a recent survey, people ages 65 years and older are more confident about their looks than any other age group. As part of...”
Excel spreadsheets are usually used to track the most banal of things: budgets t...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
Itching and pain on suspicious skin lesions may indicate that the area is cance...
Rumor had it that President Barack Obama and his family were about to drop $4.25...
from POPSUGAR Home
In France, this cut from the short loin section of the animal is known as “bavet...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
If you are new to gardening with native plants and are looking for a good intro...