Dress to Flatter Your Figure
The secrets to dressing for your body type.
Your Type: Apple shape (you tend to carry weight around the midsection)
The Strategy: Create contrast by using angular lines to counteract the roundness and softness
• Wrap tops, which will give the illusion of a smaller waist
• Seaming on blouses and anything with a corset-style structure
• Pleating and gathering under the bust that draws the eye vertically down the tummy
• Deep v-necks and scoop necks
• Drapey empire styles, provided they’re not too voluminous (that’ll only make the area look bigger)
• Straight-leg―rather than skinny―bottoms build a sense of proportion with your upper half
• Higher-waisted pants and pants with a bit of stretch; these have a girdle-like effect and hold your stomach in
• Extreme A-lines, or anything too blousy that lacks shape
• Busy details like pocketing on your top half, patterns that don’t match your overall size (larger frames can carry off bigger prints, and vice versa)
Your Secret Weapon: Wear a stretchy tank top underneath your garments to create a smooth, seamless base
Most Popular Galleries
Far from boring, this go-to neutral can take any room to new stylish heights.