Packing Light for a Weekend Trip
1. Super-compact sunnies: These shades fold down to palm-size.
To buy: American Eagle Outfitters plastic sunglasses, $10 each, ae.com.
2. Bandana: works as a headband, a hand towel, a hair tie, or a cover for yucky airline pillows.
3. Dental floss: also acts as an impromptu clothesline or sewing thread.
4. Duct tape: salvages broken luggage (or broken anything); removes lint; baby-proofs a hotel room.
5. Safety pins: fix missing buttons, broken zippers, and fallen hems; secure luggage zippers to deter thieves.
6. Travel mug: transports sunglasses or small delicate souvenirs; hides valuables in your hotel room.
7. Twist ties: repair broken necklaces or glasses; organize electronic cords.
8. Wet wipes: clean spilled toiletries; remove makeup and clothing stains; wipe down hotel remotes.
9. Zippered plastic bags: contain wet swimsuits or leaky liquids; can be blown up to cushion breakables.