Prices for Common Clothing Alterations
A tailor details the cost of some typical clothing modifications.
When it comes to how well you look in your clothing, a good fit makes all the difference. For the very best (albeit potentially
costly) fit possible, buy your clothes a size larger and have them altered by a tailor.
Here, Ken Grippi, a technical consultant and a tailor for Dependable Cleaners, a New England-based chain, details prices for some typical modifications. The cost of alterations can vary greatly, though, depending on the difficulty of the service and the shop providing it.
- Shorten sleeves on a dress shirt: $19.
- Shorten sleeves on a jacket: $23 (without buttons) to $28 (with buttons).
- Take in the body of a jacket: $40 (two seams) to $52 (three seams).
- Take in a dress shirt: $20.
- Adjust the shoulders of a jacket: $35.
- Hem a skirt or a dress: $14.50.
- Hem a pair of jeans or pants: $10.
- Take in a sheath dress: $45.