Get the Perfect Fit
Experts advice on how to pick sizes and shapes for just the right fit.
The Right Fit for a Button-Down Shirt and Trousers
The first thing to scrutinize on a button-down shirt? The vertical seams, which should sit just where your shoulders meet
your arms. "You don't want them to droop," says Liz Lange, a designer for Target.
- Shoulders: "The seams should rest on the tops of the shoulders and along their edges," according to Constance White, a style director for eBay.
- Chest: "The placket should lie flat, with no pulls or puckers," says James Aguiar, cohost of Ultra HD's Full Frontal Fashion.
- Sleeves: Cuffs should fall just past the wrists and be tight enough that a bracelet won't fit underneath.
- Waistband: "With the pants' button closed, there should be room to slip your hand in flat against your body," says Clinton Kelly, cohost of the Learning Channel's What Not to Wear.
- Hips: The crotch should hang no more "than half an inch below your anatomical crotch," says Kelly.
- Hems: Generally, the hems should graze the tops of your shoes, about a half inch from the floor.
Most Popular Galleries
“[Note: A version of this article first appeared in the March 2014 issue of Real Simple.] I mean, maybe I’ve never had a really, really good madeleine, but I find them a bit, shall we say, subtle. How...”
It may still be colder than a winter’s bone outside, but that doesn’t mean we’re...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
Hector Cruz never thought he’d become a breastfeeding advocate. But after...
Bring the luck of the Irish to your tablescape with a few key pieces just in tim...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
I like to bring the outside in and give my home a good dose of sunshine and vit...