Get the Perfect Fit
Experts advice on how to pick sizes and shapes for just the right fit.
The Right Fit for a Button-Down Shirt and Trousers
The first thing to scrutinize on a button-down shirt? The vertical seams, which should sit just where your shoulders meet
your arms. "You don't want them to droop," says Liz Lange, a designer for Target.
- Shoulders: "The seams should rest on the tops of the shoulders and along their edges," according to Constance White, a style director for eBay.
- Chest: "The placket should lie flat, with no pulls or puckers," says James Aguiar, cohost of Ultra HD's Full Frontal Fashion.
- Sleeves: Cuffs should fall just past the wrists and be tight enough that a bracelet won't fit underneath.
- Waistband: "With the pants' button closed, there should be room to slip your hand in flat against your body," says Clinton Kelly, cohost of the Learning Channel's What Not to Wear.
- Hips: The crotch should hang no more "than half an inch below your anatomical crotch," says Kelly.
- Hems: Generally, the hems should graze the tops of your shoes, about a half inch from the floor.
Most Popular Galleries
“I often get asked how to avoid a clumpy mascara application. I just saw a new trick (which, after nearly 20 years in the industry is really saying something): Swipe the formula on your arm hairs...”
Emerald may have been the color of choice in 2013, but other gem-inspired jewel ...
from The Nest Blog » house & home
Today, I read about a little boy in New York who asked Santa Claus to give him ...
If you're looking for last-minute decorating ideas this season, consider th...
from POPSUGAR Home
Ottolenghi is a lucky man. Read more: Tastemakers , Ottolenghi ...
from Tastepartner on The Huffington Post
from HuffPost Home - The Huffington Post
We made the call, and you answered. Thank you so much to everyone who responded...